Monthly First-Sunday Work Party
Join us the first Sunday of each month right after the usual Sunday Morning Meditation, Teaching, & Potluck, for an afternoon of community (brick-n-mortar) building at the Cascade Hermitage property. The hermitage hopes to eventually build two huts where monastics from around the world can come for retreat and offer teachings as they’re able. We’re starting from scratch, from the ground up! From helping build trails to working on the monastic huts, the day’s activities represent a way for the community to gather, give back, and begin creating a beautiful refuge of Dharma.
Those interested may begin the day by coming first to the weekly Sunday meditation and potluck meal at the Methow Valley Wellness Center at 105 Norfolk, Winthrop (Map), and then/ or come afterwards for the work party at the site of the Cascade Hermitage (directions below). To RSVP, contact Sarah & Doug, the hermitage stewards, at [email protected] Always bring work gloves, but for more specific needed tools (depending on project progress), please email us beforehand. The day will end with an optional group gathering and refreshments, swims in the creek as needed and maybe a campfire if it’s chilly! Welcome!
Directions to the Cascade Hermitage
As the Cascade Hermitage has only just been established, its address – 17 Mountainside Way, Winthrop, WA 98862 – is as of yet unlisted on Google Maps. To reach it, please follow the directions below, coming from Twisp to the South:
- Before the bridge leading into Winthrop (from Twisp) take a left on Twin Lakes Dr.
- 1.3 miles take a right on Wolf Creek Dr
- Go 2.8 miles and take a left on Left Fork Wolf Creek Rd
- Drive .4 miles and take a left at the fork (don’t go towards Virginia Ridge, though it’s a nice place)
- Now .3 miles and a left on Mountainside Way. This is our driveway. Drive down a bit of a hill and park in the wide open graveled area where there’s lots of space.
Things to Bring
- Work gloves
- Bug spray if it’s that time of year
- Water Bottle
- Tools such as shovels, chainsaws, etc. Email us for specifics needed on each date.
- Swimsuit and towel!
- Most importantly, yourself!